Situated in the centre of Abcoude across from the splendid 15th century Village Church, Hotel Abcoude is the spot for visiting the “bright lights” of Amsterdam Centre as well as exploring the rural green environment of “The Green Heart” by bicycle, on foot or by boat/canoe. For example, along the Angstel or the Gein, where Piet Mondrian painted his magnificent sunsets.
Hotel Abcoude is an ambassador of the Noord-Holland route (website), a 270 kilometre long hiking route from Wieringen or Texel to the Gooi.
From way back, Abcoude has been situated on the water and road links between Amsterdam and Utrecht. This has had an impact on the village, where in times gone by many travellers stopped with their coaches and tow barges to alight in one of the stops, which still exist. Hotel Abcoude and the Wakende Haan Restaurant are striking evidence of this.
A short distance from the hotel are:
- The city centres of Amsterdam, Utrecht and Haarlem are quickly and easily accessible by train from Abcoude Station in 10, 20 and 40 minutes, respectively.
- Amsterdam south-east business centre
- Amsterdam Arena stadium.
- Mega-cinema Pathé Arena
- The Green Heart, with the Ronde Venen for magnificent cycling, sailing
- and hiking opportunities.
- Abcouder lake with a direct connection by water to Amsterdam (a sailing tour of the canals), and the Vinkeveense and Loosdrechtse lakes.
- Botshol nature reserve.
- Historic villages like Loenen, Weesp and Muiden within cycling distance.
- The triumphant Vecht with elegant country houses and tea pavilions.
- Olympus golf course